ICG would like to let you know a few things coming up so you can be prepared.
- This Saturday, Sept 15th our West Seneca Community Garden is having a Free Hot Dog Roast between 10 am and 12 pm. It is located at 2784 Seneca St, at the corner of Seneca St and Harlem Rd. Family, friends and neighbors of that garden are invited to come for fun, games and a chance for us to show you the garden and to get to know you.
- Kid’s Pumpkin Day is Saturday, Oct 20th, between 9 am and 12 pm.
- Pumpkins and carving kits will be available for pickup at ICG headquarters at Aqua Systems, 7071 Transit Rd, E. Amherst, starting Oct 15th. Each garden is allotted 50 pumpkins. Please work out the pickup arrangements with your garden team members so all pumpkins and supplies are picked up by Friday, Oct 19th by 4:30 pm.
- Garlic Sets for each garden will also be available for pickup on that date and will need to be planted in each plot after each plot is cleaned out. Please do not remove Oregano plants as they will overwinter.
The Chapel at Crosspoint, Lockport and Cheektowaga campus church volunteers are scheduled to come help cleanup our garden sites on their Love Serves day, October 27th, between 9 am and 12 pm. On this date:
- Each garden site manager will direct the cleanup activities of the volunteers and all gardeners as all garden plots and perimeter beds will be cleaned up and out. (If there are any gardeners who would like to extend their garden season after this date, they need to check with their garden manager as they will be responsible for cleaning out their plot themselves and removing all debris offsite by Nov 7th.)
- Only annual flowers, weeds and leaves should be removed from the border beds as perennials and ornamental grasses will be cut down in Spring.
- Please follow ICG’s proper composting procedures of using mulch, chopped green matter and mulch layers, taking care not to overflow the compost bins. No garbage or paper should be put in the compost bins. (Please advise ICG if you need any mulch or topsoil for the bins)
- Any gardening or landscaping debris not composted on site needs to be stockpiled inside the double gate for pickup later that afternoon.
We look forward to finishing off our 2018 season strong. We are thankful for your willingness, energy and compassion in volunteering and for the many opportunities we have had this year in demonstrating love in our communities. It has been busy yet productive in many ways. God Bless You All!